PhD thesis – Malene Krag Kjeldsen, 18 September 2012
On Tuesday 18 September 2012, MSc (human biology) Malene Krag Kjeldsen, Department of Haematology, defended her PhD thesis with the title: ”Studies of the B-cell hierarchy in normal and malignant lymphopiesis.”
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) accounts for 2–3% of all cancers. t present the annual incidence of all NHL is estimated to be 15-20 cases/100,000 with 30-40% of these cases classified as diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) in the updated report from World Health Organization (WHO-2008).
This classification has recognized DLBCL as a heterogeneous group of patients not only with respect to clinical presentation and outcome but also biologically based on analysis of morphology, immunohistochemical analysis, cytogenetic and gene expression. The PhD project has focused on trying to increase our understanding of this heterogeneity based on the cellular hierarchy and transcription factors involvement in the oncogenic process.
The project has increased our knowledge of the normal B-cell populations from where DLBCL arises using a new approach to determine cell of origin. This classification of DLBCL according to cell of origin has prognostic value. Furthermore, the project has studied the role of SOX4 in DLBCL and shown that SOX4 protein shows variable expression and localization within the cell.
- Associate professor, Dr. MD, Sara Ek, Department of Immunotechnology, Lund University, Sweden
- Licentiate, Principal molecular biologist, Niels Pallisgaard, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Vejle Hospital, Denmark
- Chairman of the commitee, Professor, MD DMSc Marianne Hokland, Institute of Biomedicine, Aarhus University, Denmark
- Associate Professor, Karen Dybkær, Department of Haematology, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital
- Professor Hans E. Johnsen, Department of Haematology, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital
- 18 September 2012, at 13.00 p.m.
- In the auditorium at Aalborg Science and Innovation Center, AalborgHospital, Aarhus University Hospital. Sdr. Skovvej 15, 9000 Aalborg